Steamy Sumatra is a rugged jungle paradise for all types of adventurers. The world’s sixth largest island is teeming with untamed nature and is home to many endangered species, including the Sumatran tiger, rhinoceros, elephants and the acclaimed orangutan. On this nine-day Sumatran expedition, travel from Medan to Bukit Lawang and explore Gunung Leuser National Park. Head to Berastagi and hike up the steaming active volcano Sibayak, basking in the glory of misty panoramas from the summit. Finish in Samonsir on Lake Toba, where the colourfully dressed Christian Batak people are happy to have your company. Venture off the beaten track and learn a thing or two about Sumatra.
- Gunung Leuser NP – Jungle wildlife trek
- Mt Sibayak – Picnic lunch
- Mt Sibayak – Volcano climb
- Berastagi – Hot springs
- Lake Toba – Sipiso-Piso Waterfall
- Dokan Village – Batak longhouse visit
- Lake Toba – Samosir Island day tour
- Lake Toba – Stone Chairs
- Lake Toba – Simanindo Museum
- Lake Toba – Batak dance performance
- Gunung Leuser National Park is your best chance in Indonesia to see orangutans in the wild. Hike through the jungle, home to some 300 bird species and the endangered Sumatran tiger, on a small-group camping experience.
- Begin and end your adventure in Sumatra’s largest city: Medan. Explore the mix of Asian cultures in the city, noticeable in its colourful architecture and delicious mix of food.
- Let your knowledgeable group leader guide you through the thickets of the jungle, past small cultural villages, and to the best places to eat around northern Sumatra.
- Climb the Sibayak Volcano to enjoy panoramic views at its spectacular summit, then head to local hot springs for some well-earned rest and relaxation after the descent.
- Explore Lake Toba and the villages on Samosir Island. Check out Indonesia’s highest waterfall and a take a cultural tour that includes a traditional Batak dance performance.
Gunung Leuser National Park
Gunung Leuser National Park - Berastagi
Mt Sibayak - Berastagi